(Matthew 7:24-27 NIV) “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. (25) The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. (26) But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. (27) The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
(Luke 6:48 NIV) They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came…
- Jesus taught us that the storms of life come to everybody!
(1 Corinthians 10:13 GNB) (13) Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, he will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out.
- Storms come to good people!
It is not the mark of failure to have a storm.
Don’t spend one minute trying to answer this question, “Why is this happening to me?
- Jesus taught us that you can be prepared for the storm!
The Man in the Mirror
(James 1:22-25 NIV) Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. (23) Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror (24) and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. (25) But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it–not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it–they will be blessed in what they do.
- A doer of the Word allows the teaching of the Word to shape his thinking in every area of life.
- A does of the Word does not adjust his moral compass to the norms of popular culture.
- A doer of the Word learns not to live by his feelings and emotions.
- A doer of the Word learns to know God by His Word and promises – not by the circumstances of life.
(Philippians 2:13 NLT) For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases Him.
The Word doesn’t just tell us what to do – it gives us both the desire and ability to do what it says.