Proverbs 18:20-21 ERV Your words can be as satisfying as fruit, as pleasing as the food that fills your stomach. (21) The tongue can speak words that bring life or death. Those who love to talk must be ready to accept what it brings.
- The tongue can speak words of life or death. The choice is ours!
James 3:2-11 TPT We all fail in many areas, but especially with our words. Yet if we’re able to bridle the words we say we are powerful enough to control ourselves in every way, and that means our character is mature and fully developed. (3) Horses have bits and bridles in their mouths so that we can control and guide their large body. (4) And the same with mighty ships, though they are massive and driven by fierce winds, yet they are steered by a tiny rudder at the direction of the person at the helm. (5) And so the tongue is a small part of the body yet it carries great power! Just think of how a small flame can set a huge forest ablaze.
- Where your life is today is a result of what you believed and said yesterday!
- If you want to change the direction of your life, start changing your words.
There are four types of Confession mentioned in the New Testament:
- Confession of sins by the Jews during John the Baptist’s and Jesus’ ministry. (Matthew 3:5-6)
- Confession of the Lordship of Jesus by the sinner today. (Romans 10: 9-10)
- A believer’s confession of sins when he is out of fellowship with God. (1 John 1:9)
- A believer’s confession of faith in the Word of God. (Mark 11:23)
The word confession means:
- Affirming something we believe.
- Testifying of something we know.
- Witnessing for a truth we have embraced.
- Anytime God wants to change something, He speaks to it.
Genesis 1:1-3 NKJV In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (2) The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters. (3) Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
Hebrews 11:3 AMP By faith we understand that the worlds [during the successive ages] were framed (fashioned, put in order, and equipped for their intended purpose) by the word of God, so that what we see was not made out of things which are visible.
Hebrews 4:12a AMP For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]…
- It is not enough to just believe what the Word says, you must speak it if you want the results of it.
Romans 10:9-10 NLT If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (10) For it is by believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.
- We need to understand that there is speaking God’s Word unto faith and then there is speaking God’s Word by faith.
Speaking God’s Word unto Faith:
Proverbs 12:14 AMPC From the fruit of his words a man shall be satisfied with good, and the work of a man’s hands shall come back to him [as a harvest].
Proverbs 13:2 ISV From the fruit of his words a man receives benefit, but the treacherous crave violence.
Proverbs 16:24 AMPC Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the mind and healing to the body.
God created us to be able to hear our own words and build a capacity to believe them in our hearts.
Romans 10:17 NKJV So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
When you are speaking God’s Word, you are building your capacity to believe God’s Word.
- Faith grows with your confession, but your faith will never grow beyond your confession
There is no faith without confession. Confession is faith’s way of expressing itself.
Hebrews 10:23 NKJV Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.
Hebrews 4:14 NKJV Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.
Confession – (Greek: homologia) – to say the same thing
We are called to speak the same thing that our High Priest is saying over us.
What is your High Priest saying? You are strong, you are healed, you are well able, you are anointed, you are favored, you are free, you are redeemed, you are forgiven…
What are we to be confessing?
- What Jesus purchased for us in His plan of Redemption
- What God has done in us in the New Birth and the infilling of the Holy Spirit
- Who we are in Christ Jesus
- What God can do in and through us as believers
Download these faith confessions of Who You Are in Christ: