The Fundamentals of Faith
Mark 11:22-26 (NKJV) 22 So Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God. 23 For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. 24 Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them. 25 “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. 26 But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.”
- Fundamental #1: You believe the Word in your heart
You believe with your heart – not your head!
- Fundamental #2 – Say God’s Word with your mouth.
You always say what you believe!
This is a spiritual law. You cannot change the law of words that we live under, but you can change the words that determine how you live.
Faith must be released by the words of your mouth.
Faith’s confessions create realities OR confession precedes possession.
- Fundamental #3 – Act on your faith in the Word. (Simply put, act like the Bible is true.)
Seven Hindrances to Faith
- Unforgiveness is probably one of if not the GREATEST hindrance to faith working.
Mark 11:25-26 NKJV “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. 26 But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.”
Galatians 5:6 KJV For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.
- Jesus pointed out that it was the woman’s faith that healed her.
Mark 5:34 NKJV And He said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace, and be healed of your affliction.”
- The woman that had the issue of blood must have walked in forgiveness because her faith in Jesus was not hindered in any way.
Mark 5:25-26 NKJV Now a certain woman had a flow of blood for twelve years, 26 and had suffered many things from many physicians. She had spent all that she had and was no better, but rather grew worse.
- We don’t think of this very much if at all, but Caleb and Joshua must have walked in love and forgiveness as well.
Hebrews 11:30 NKJV By faith the walls of Jericho fell down after they were encircled for seven days.
- David could have been bitter because of the way his father and brothers treated him with contempt and did not see what God could do through him.
- Another hindrance to our faith is worry.
Matthew 6:25 NIV “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?
1 Peter 5:6-7 AMPC Therefore humble yourselves [demote, lower yourselves in your own estimation] under the mighty hand of God, that in due time He may exalt you, (7) Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. [Psa 55:22]
Philippians 4:6-7 AMP Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God. (7) And God’s peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
- Worry – the rehearsing of your problem in your mind trying to search for an answer.
- If there is an answer that you need, and your mind has never known the answer, then you will never be able to recall or get that answer from your mind.
- If you face a new problem, then the answer is going to have to come from the Lord.
- When you are searching for the answer in your mind by going over and over the problem to look for the solution, you only cause yourself more anxiety and frustration.
- There is always a way! There is always a solution!
- God has a thousand answers or solutions to every problem we face. All you and I need is one.
- Practicing Sin will hinder your faith.
1 John 3:20-22 NKJV For if our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. (21) Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. (22) And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight.
1 John 1:9 NKJV If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- A sin-consciousness will hinder your faith.
We need to confess our sins and forget them.
2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV (17) Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
Hebrews 10:1-3 NKJV For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect. (2) For then would they not have ceased to be offered? For the worshipers, once purified, would have had no more consciousness of sins. (3) But in those sacrifices there is a reminder of sins every year.
Isaiah 43:25 NKJV “I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; And I will not remember your sins.
Psalms 103:12 NKJV As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.
- A lack of understanding who we are in Christ will hinder your faith.
We all must have a clear understanding of our rights and privileges that we have in Christ Jesus.
Most often, when we don’t know these things we will live our lives below what Jesus bought and paid for and what God has planned for our lives.
- Lack of understanding the power of the Name of Jesus and our privilege to use it.
John 14:13-14 NKJV And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. (14) If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.
John 16:23-24 NKJV “And in that day you will ask Me nothing. Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you. (24) Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.
- We stop speaking the Word and acting on the Word when we don’t immediately see results.
Make up your mind that you are in it to win it. Stay with it for the long haul if necessary.
Galatians 6:9 NKJV And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.
Galatians 6:9 TLB And let us not get tired of doing what is right, for after a while we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t get discouraged and give up.